$1,000 New Hire Bonus
You know your wine. You're charming, personable, and persuasive - but most of all, you know how to make the wine drinking experience a delight for guests, by selecting the appropriate glasses and pouring properly for our guest to taste. Wine selection, wine pouring and wine selling are the cornerstones of our Wine Steward role. As a Wine Steward at Giant Eagle, you'll create points of difference from our competition by enhancing the customer shopping experience, offering recommendations for wine, food, and entertainment. Our well-trained, knowledgeable Wine Stewards help develop and showcase our expertise to position our stores as THE stores to shop for wine and beer.To thrive in this position, you should be a team player. You know that you are only successful when those around you are set up for success. You are eager to support an amazing team, have the drive to grow your career in leadership and have the ability to inspire those around you.
- Experience Required: 1 to 3 years
- Experience Desired: Strong customer service experience required; Wine knowledge and/or wine industry experience; Experience in retail food, catering or restaurant environment;
- Education Desired: High school diploma or equivalent
- Certification or Licensing Preferred: Certificate from a sommelier organization, such as The Court of Master Sommeliers is strongly preferred
- Lifting Requirement: Up to 50 pounds
- Age Requirement: At least 21 years of age
- Demonstrate strong knowledge, interest and passion for products and services associated with the role.
- Participate in on-going product and customer service training programs; attend distributor trade shows as necessary.
- Understand and adhere to all relevant local, state and federal laws/guidelines as well as company policies. Responsible for reporting any incidents in violation of these guidelines or policies.
- Participate in in-store team meetings and regional meetings.
- Attend and conduct daily team huddles as directed by Team Leader.
- Ensure store and personal compliance with State Liquor Laws and company policies and procedures regarding Alcohol; ability to uncover any potential under-age or intoxicated individual and ensure no alcohol is sold to that person.
- Maintain cleanliness of equipment, tables, utensils, floor (to ensure safety), and ensure that sanitation regulations are met.
- Knowledge of code dating.
- Visit competition regularly and at least once a month.
- Maintain safety as the top priority in all aspects of our work, for our Team Members, guests and products.
- Assist customers with B/W/L purchases by providing knowledgeable recommendations and suggestions.
- Enable unparalleled guest service by leading the team by example, constantly striving to delight and surprise our guests, vendors, and stakeholders.
- Take an active role in building the store's beer/wine assortment, throughout the year and at resets, by regularly communicating with distributors and LOB Merchandising staff.
- Plan seasonal and major promotional operations with the Store Leader for out-of-department display placement and keep record of results.
- Oversee the wine list, helping to maintain it for the restaurant, and makes suggestions to add to the list to fit the chef's dishes if necessary.
- Assist with implementing marketing techniques to drive sales.
- Develop and execute merchandising and marketing programs to drive sales and profit margins.
- Be comfortable talking to guests and have the ability to make knowledgeable recommendations to suit their tastes.
- Ensure that you are knowledgeable and approachable, without being intimidating.
- Follow proper procedures to ensure BWL meets out-of-Stock, shrink and inventory level goals.
- Perform all functions of a Team Leader in his/her absence, when necessary and where appropriate.
- Direct Team Members by using work lists as well as understanding and performing all duties required to include directing, overseeing and evaluating all training of new and current Team Members.
- Develop unique customer tasting events and sampling programs.
- Write department orders, monitor ordering, and supervise stocking and receiving with latest tools and technology/automated ordering systems.
- Track and reduce out of stocks and participate in taking of physical inventories.
- Utilize all available tools to help reduce and eliminate shrink.
- Ensure proper ordering, receiving and stocking of BWL products, and proper signage within department.
At Giant Eagle Inc., we're more than just food, fuel and convenience. We're one giant family of diverse and talented Team Members. Our people are the heart and soul of our company. It's why we strive to create a nurturing environment that offers countless career opportunities to grow. Deep caring and solid family values are what makes us one of the top work places for jobs in the Greater Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus and Indianapolis Areas. From our Warehouses to our GetGo's, our grocery Stores through our Corporate home office, we are working together to put food on shoppers' tables and smiles on their faces. We're always searching for the best Team Members to welcome to our family. We invite you to join our Giant Eagle family. Come start a lasting career with us.