Participates with the Health Care Team in delivering quality and customer focused health care to patients in a manner that reflects Kaiser Permanentes mission, vision and values. Provides clinical and administrative support to clinicians and other health care team members to offer a variety of health care services to patients. Clinical duties involve both direct (in person) and indirect (via phone or on-line) patient care activities requiring both simple to complex clinical knowledge and skills. As appropriate to the positions scope of authorized duties, the MA is expected to have competent observational, clinical, critical thinking, communication, problem-solving and decision-making skills in order to meet patient needs and contribute to a positive care experience and work environment. Works under the clinical supervision of the clinician for patient care activities, and under the general direction of the designated manager/supervisor.
- Clinical Tasks: These job tasks provide patient care and are to be performed competently, consistently, accurately and according to established regional/departmental clinical protocols, policies and procedures and standards. They are: Prepares and organizes patients office visit for known reason/procedure by ensuring that all appropriate tests, clinical information (e.g. diagnostic test results, consultation reports, outside records, etc.) and order entries are ready for clinician review prior to appointment time. Collects pertinent subjective (e.g. signs; symptoms, allergies, current medication, tobacco use, etc.) and objective (e.g. vital signs, height, weight, etc.) data related to patients reason for visit (i.e. chief complaint, presenting symptoms or procedure). Utilizes standardized tools (e.g. PST, health maintenance alerts) to identify and address health maintenance/care gaps with patient and alerts clinician on those that require his/her attention. Recognizes signs and symptoms of common medical illnesses, abnormal versus new/existing and reports to clinician. Alerts clinician on signs and symptoms requiring immediate attention and respond to directions per clinician. Prepares patient for actual visit/procedure prior to clinicians exam during rooming-in process. Assures exam/procedure room contains appropriate supplies, equipment, forms and educational materials are available and ready for use during visit/procedure. Checks equipment are in safe working order and cleans room after use. Provides patient with after-visit, follow-up, self-care or procedural instructions and/or educational materials as directed by clinician. Use KP HealthConnect and other information systems to document all pertinent data and outcomes of patient care according to standardized procedures and policies such as and not limited to the use of SBAR, KP HealthConnect smarttools, etc. Updates demographic or historical clinical data gathered in the electronic medical record.
- Clinical Procedures: Performs diagnostic tests, therapies and procedures within scope of authorized duties competently and with maintenance of proficiency according to: a) specific department standards on core clinical tasks (see departments list of core skills); application of knowledge and skills appropriate to developmental age of patient; and established policies such as and not limited to patient safety, aseptic and sterile techniques and infection control. Examples of categories of clinical tasks are as follows: Screening tests - e.g. vital signs, vision, hearing, developmental, LOPS, pain, etc. Diagnostic tests - e.g. urine dips, spirometry/peak flow, bladder scan, finger sticks for glucose, O2 saturation rate, etc. Medication administration via oral, topical, otic, rectal, vaginal, IM, SubQ, intradermal, ophthalmic, inhalation and nasal routes. Wound care - e.g. routine dressing changes, staple/suture removal, cleansing/flushing of wounds. Application and/or removal of orthopedic appliances and other devices - e.g. splints, slings, orthotics, cast, crutch management, anti-embolic stockings measurement, procedural safety restraints, etc. Minor surgical procedures assist - e.g. biopsies, excisions, insertion of devices, D C, etc. Medical procedures assist - e,g. PAP, colonoscopies, sigmoidoscopies, colposcopies, joint aspirations, etc. Lab specimens collection and labeling - e.g. nose, throat, wound, application of U-bag, etc. Irrigations - e.g. eye, ear. Instrument/equipment set-up, cleaning and processing (sterile and non-sterile) - e.g. scopes, cryogun, O2 tank, procedural trays, etc. Ambulate/transfer of patient using lift equipment. Other procedures outlined in the core skills checklist as attached.
- Practice Management Activities: These job tasks are primarily;indirect patient care; (i.e. non face-to-face) to be performed competently, accurately and consistently according to established regional/departmental clinical protocols, policies and procedures and standards. They are: Maintains and adjusts clinicians patient schedule for efficient patient flow that facilitates appointed visits and overbooks. Answers and responds to in-coming messages/requests via telephone, mail or from patient or other department(s) by collecting and communicating pertinent data requiring clinicians review and input. Act as the clinicians agent to communicate back to patient or department his/her response/instructions in a timely manner. Facilitates and completes follow-up duties on patients plan of care as directed by clinician to include but not limited to: processing of prescriptions and forms; reminder of screening/diagnostic tests that are due; scheduling/staging of procedures, tests, referrals, and/or return appointments; and obtaining and inputting patient data to monitor progress into the electronic medical record. Sorts and prioritizes mail containing patient and/or clinical information requiring clinicians review and attention. Provides population-based care outreach activities to include health maintenance screening as directed by clinician.
- Teamwork, Leadership and Professional Development Activities: Performs appropriate daily activities to start workflow in work area per team agreements and procedures. Demonstrates flexibility and ability to reprioritize workflow to handle urgent/emergent demands of the team effectively. Assists with on-boarding of new hires/transfers and/or validating peers clinical skills. Reports errors, near misses or other hazards in a timely manner per established procedures. Seeks assistance with duties when unable to perform safely, lacks training or outside scope of authorized duties. Completes annual competency assessments and trainings by meeting organizational standards and expectations. Demonstrates and maintains clinical knowledge and skills related to departments clinical area and contributes new ideas to assist team in achieving departmental/regional quality and service goals/initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned consistent with job description.
License, Certification, Registration
- Basic Life Support within 1 months of hire
- Graduate of accredited Medical Assistant program.
- Employees must be able to successfully obtain Kaiser Permanentes Medication Administration Competency Certification within ninty (90) days of employment as a Medical Assistant.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and customer service skills (Assessment required for external candidates).
- Demonstrated communication (written and oral) skills.
- Demonstrated literacy in using computers and keyboarding.
- Skills in problem-solving, setting priorities and using good judgment for decisions.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently under pressure.
Job Schedule: Job Category:
- One (1) - two (2) + years in a medical assistant position to assigned departments clinical area (e.g. Pediatrics, FP/IM, OB/Gyn, Surgery, Dermatology, Neurology, Cardiology, etc.) within an ambulatory care setting.
- Demonstrated clinical knowledge and procedural skills and/or documented trainings in assigned departments clinical area within the last one (1) - three (3) years.
- Current National Medical Assistant Certification.
- Familiarity in documenting in an electronic medical record system.
Clinical Support, Medical Assistant